Monday, October 22, 2012

Forbidden and...the search for the perfect oatmeal cookie

Forbidden 
by Jacquelyn Frank is part of her 'Nightwalker' series and will be released at the end of October.  I wasn't quite as enthralled with this particular installment as I usually am but the requisite elements were in place and I did enjoy the references to important players from the history of Egypt.  I am not quite sure what I found jarring, perhaps it was a bit too formulaic and the villain(s) seem two-dimensional and almost caricaturic.  My Goodread review is at this link.


My apologies for this post going live before it was quite finished.  I wrote it more than a month ago to remind me to post it when my Night Owl review went live but unfortunately, my wires got crossed and it isn't quite ready on the NOR site yet so I have updated the aforementioned link.  I will update it when possible but I am smack in the middle of a couple of proofreading jobs as well as starting a new class so I am a little scatterbrained right now, lol. 

So, in my house, my husband is the one who collects cookbooks and studies recipes (mmm, I am NOT complaining, mind you) and he has been on a quest to find a recipe for oatmeal cookies similar to the ones he had in his childhood.  He LOVES the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks and tried out the Cook's Illustrated Cookbook's oatmeal cookie recipe recently.  I got to help by putting the dough onto the cookie sheets so I diverted the last of the dough and cut up dried cherries and pecans to add to it.  The look of incredulity on his face sent me into gales of laughter.  In a parody of Tom Hanks' line, I was told...."there are NO cherries and pecans in oatmeal cookies"....whereupon my answer was, "there are in mine".  Suffice it to say, both versions were delicious and I don't usually eat oatmeal cookies!  And yes, I did share, lol. 


2 comments:

  1. Really? I haven't read this one yet but I have been visiting all the blogs that are holding contests to win it. lol I love her books and am looking forward to reading this next installment. Now I'm interested to see if I feel the same way you did after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, I am probably going to be in the minority with my opinion, lol. I confess that I have not read the entire series but I have enjoyed other of this author's book and this one just didn't sync with me quite as well. I'll be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete