Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

One of the forums that I regularly visit on Paperback Swap is the RAOK (Random Acts of Kindness) site.  There is a separate forum where people ask for all kinds of things as well as one where people post the items that they have to offer.  It's pretty amazing what gets posted although there are plenty of commonplace things, including coupons of all sorts.  I am always fascinated by the requests for bookmarks because I seem to acquire (and lose) tons of bookmarks all of the time and there always seem to be plenty at the library as well as most bookstores and, if all else fails, there's always a random envelope of something lying around for me to use.  However, I digress.  It seems to me that if we all practice RAOK several times a day, we will be less stressed.  Often it requires very little effort on our part...letting that person out of the driveway while we are waiting for a red light to change, encouraging the person who only has 1 or 2 items to charge out ahead of you, even smiling at every person you pass by can brighten someone's day at little cost to you (unless of course you have a toothache and smiling is painful!).  It all is in your perspective, I of course am incurably picky about proper spelling and grammar and make it a point of mentioning it to people if I can find contact information.  The person that I am contacting could consider me an interfering busybody but I really want to save them from the embarrassment since I know that I tend not to see my own errors once I have written something.  Anyway, I think that if we all make a conscious effort to practice RAOK we will find that nice warm fuzzy feeling replaces some of that tension that permeates our lives and perhaps we will improve each other's situations a little at a time!

NOR books Death Magic (Eileen Wilks) and The Moonlight Brigade (Sarah Jane Stratford)...more about them tomorrow...or later today, depending on how you look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment