Friday, July 20, 2012

Beware of posting pictures that aren't your own! (updated)

I was pretty disturbed to read about the experiences of an author who is new to me and saddened by what it will mean to everyone who reads her post.  She has a cautionary tale for all who post pictures that they obtain from surfing the net.  I didn't include a link to the original post just because it is on her adults only blog but I myself read it originally at this link.  I am not trying to be a doomsayer, I just believe that knowledge is power and the more people who know this...the less that unsuspecting people will be blindsided.  I guess I will have to try harder to find a card reader for my camera that will talk to this laptop so that I can post some of my own pictures but, unlike that person that this poor author inadvertently offended...I am willing to share mine (-:

July 22, 2012 update:  Another of the myriad of loops that I belong to had this post on it that may provide resources for those looking for free photos to use but please use at your own risk and make sure you look at the rules!

"If you want access to royalty-free AND cost-free photos, I have a few
resources that will help you. The terms of service are clearly stated on
each website:

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/
http://www.freefoto.com/index.jsp
http://www.freephotosbank.com/
http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/
http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php

(Thank you to Karen Duvall)



One thing that I wondered was how we could support Roni Loren who took the time to share her experiences with all of us so that we don't all end up with the same horrible problem...and, it would be nice if those who can buy one of her books...but be warned...they look somewhat spicy (-:

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about this, I appreciate it. I almost deleted my whole blog but then just started deleting the pics and I'm almost done. I do have another question that you might know the answer to. Can I post pictures of book covers along with my reviews and not get in trouble for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't delete your blog because I enjoy it so much. I am not a lawyer but I imagine that authors are perfectly happy to have you advertise their works as long as you don't change anything on their covers. I am an Amazon affiliate so I have access to the covers from Amazon and when they are posted on my blog I receive a small percentage if people click on the image and ultimately buy something (not necessarily that book) during that visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted this question on my blog and one of my author friends just commented and said she would think it would be fine if I were doing a review or talking about the book. So for now I'm going to leave the book covers up.

    Thanks, I appreciate you visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete