Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Epic, the movie (yes, I occasionally watch movies!)

                                               


Ok...I am a very big fan of my local county library.  Not only does it do a fantastic job of providing books (although I am sure they have breathed a sigh of relief now that I request fewer of them, lol) but they have so many other services, including access to a wide variety of online learning resources.  I have gotten old and cranky enough that it is VERY rare that we go to the movies.  One of the last ones I went to gave me such a headache the day after I enjoyed the 3-D movie, I haven't tried another one in 3-D.  So, it's great that the library also has DVDs.  That way, I can sit at home, turn on the subtitles, munch on my much less expensive snacks and rewind when I can't figure out what the heck just happened.  The drawback, of course, is that I don't keep up with what has been released so I don't get in line quickly enough to not end up in the high hundreds on the waiting lists, lol.  We recently checked out the animated movie Epic.  Through a comedy of errors, we didn't pick it up on time, requested it again, had a series of events such that we never got around to watching it, then had to request it yet again (while I kicked myself for depriving some other soul of the opportunity to enjoy it)...so then we FINALLY got to it.

I am predisposed to enjoying animated lighthearted movies.  I make that distinction because there are lots of animated series that I have never watched because they just don't seem to be my style.  I was a little concerned because this one had lots of creepy-crawly things but I have to say, I really enjoyed it and giggled my way through quite a few scenes.  Somehow, I have never been a fan of snails and slugs...but I have to say that they practically stole the show for me.  I skimmed through some of the reviews on Amazon and have to continue to marvel at the different reactions that folks have, but for myself...I really enjoyed the movie, both the sight gags and the dialogue.  It started a little slowly for me and it has certain sad aspects but overall, I think it is a great story!  I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it...especially since some of the comments reflected on the age group that would appreciate this move.  I think that it is a delicate balancing act to make something that kids would enjoy yet wouldn't bore the adults to tears and I thought this one should fit the bill.

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that my library has movies we can borrow. Mine also has computers we can use and music CD's that we can borrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours does too, but even better, they participate in something called Freegal so we can go online and get up to 5 songs a week if it is on that site. I have been introduced to some interesting artists this way...I discovered The Piano Guys and have really liked their music! Thanks for visiting, Mary.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun movie, I'll have to remember to watch for it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was great...and it was fun having Beyonce as one of the voices. Thanks for visiting, Crystal.

      Delete